Sat Oct 29th Leeds United 2 (Wood 83 pen, Doukara 90+6) Burton Albion 0 United: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Roofe, Wood, O’Kane, Jansson, Hernandez (Vieira 89), Taylor, Phillips, Sacko (Mowatt 90+5). Subs not used: Cooper, Antonsson, Doukara, Silvestri, Berardi. Burton: McLaughlin, Brayford, McFadzean, Turner, Williamson (Naylor 76), O’Grady, Akins, Dyer, Ward (Beavon 46), Palmer, Irvine. Subs not used: Flanagan, Mousinho, Bywater, Naylor, Miller, Choudhury. Booked: O’Kane, Jansson, Vieira, Doukara (Leeds). Turner, Akins (Burton). Referee: J. Simpson Venue: Elland Road. Two goals in the final ten minutes from Chris Wood and Souleymane Doukara secured Leeds United victory over Burton Albion, moving Garry Monk’s side just one point from the play-off places. Pablo Hernandez made a welcomed returned to the United starting line-up following a lay-off with injury.


Forgotten man Doukara made and scored one

It was Burton who almost made a dream start at Elland Road, Ben Turner’s header at a corner was destined to go in, but for Eunan O’Kane’s block on the line. Leeds then had a chance of their own from a set piece, Hernandez whipped in a corner and the ball pinged around the area between Kyle Bartley and Chris Wood, before Burton scrambled the ball to safety. Kemar Roofe almost netted his first Leeds goal in the 24th minute. Wood fed Hadi Sacko, who crossed low for Roofe, but he couldn’t get the desired contact and Jon McLaughlin in the Albion goal made the save. Sacko was next to go close for United, Charlie Taylor put in a great cross from the left wing and the Frenchman headed just inches over. Ten minutes before the break the Brewers were again nearly in front. Matt Palmer whipped in a free-kick from the left flank and Matt Turner saw his looping header hit the crossbar. Half Time: Leeds United 0-0 Burton Albion Burton, like in the first half made a strong start out of the blocks in the second period, Chris O’Grady and half-time substitute Stuart Beavon combined with the latter firing over the crossbar. The visitors then caught out Leeds at a free-kick, Beavon going short crossed in, he found O’Grady who headed back across goal, but Turner could only head over. On the hour mark Roofe had United’s best chance of the game, he was played through on goal by Luke Ayling, but he couldn’t find the target firing just centimeters wide. A minute later Burton went close once again, Palmer at a free kick once more found Turner, but the result was the same as the defender couldn’t find the target. Wood then did really well to hold the ball up in the Burton penalty area, he teed up the returning Hernandez but he could only fire his effort over. O’Grady had a good chance from another Albion set piece, Palmer delivered but the forward couldn’t find the target. Leeds were awarded a penalty eight minutes from time, Wood sent the ball out to Hernandez and he played a fine pass to send substitute Doukara through on goal. He cut inside, in the box and just as he was about to fire at goal, was felled. Chris Wood stepped up to take the spot kick and smashed it straight down the middle, to give United the advantage. The Whites sealed the win in the sixth minute of added time. Burton were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the Leeds box, the ball pinged around the area before Wood broke. He put Doukara through with a brilliant pass and despite being bundled over by John Brayford, the striker prodded the ball home to secure Leeds the three points. Victory for Monk’s men lifts United to ninth in the table and extends their unbeaten run at Elland Road to seven games. Leeds head coach Garry Monk: “It wasn’t the best of performances, considering the context of the week we have had. We are not overly happy with the performance but are delighted with the desire to get the win. “I was pushing the players to put on a good performance but I knew it would be hard after Tuesday night. “We showed real character and determination to fight to the end. We had to scrap but we knew we would get chances and it was about taking those chances.” Burton Albion manager Nigel Clough: “That’s what it’s been like for us away from home, things are just not falling our way. “Leeds are a good team and this is a very hard place to come. This season is a great learning curve for the players who are learning all the time. “I thought that we defended and battled well today. We stuck in there for a long time and were very close to getting what would have been a valuable point.”   Oct 26th Leeds United 2 (Antonsson 43, Wood 109) Norwich City 2 (Pritchard 14, Oliveira 99) Penalties: Leeds United 3-2 Norwich City United: Silvestri, Berardi, Bartley, Cooper, Coyle, Grimes, Mowatt (Sacko 76), Vieira, Roofe, Doukara (Phillips 81), Antonsson (Wood 67). Subs not used: Green, Taylor, Ayling, O’Kane. Booked: Bartley, Mowatt, Silvestri (Leeds), Bennett, Dorrans, Canos (Norwich) Referee: A. Woolmer Venue: Elland Road Attendance: 22,222 (1,905 Norwich) Norwich: Ruddy, Godfrey (Turner 77), Bennett, Bassong, Brady, Tettey (Dorrans 46), Thompson, Murphy (Canos 71), Naismith, Pritchard, Oliveira. Subs not used: Jones, Lafferty, Morris, Ramsay. Marco Silvestri and Ronaldo Vieira were the hero’s as ten men Leeds United progressed to the quarter finals of the EFL Cup after a penalty shootout victory against Norwich, in a classic tie at Elland Road.


Ronaldo Vieira slots home the winning penalty with some aplomb

Head coach Garry Monk made eight changes to the side that defeated Wolves on Saturday for the visit of the Canaries, with United looking to preserve a run of five matches undefeated on home soil. Norwich nearly raced into the lead though straight from the kick-off, Steven Naismith went through on goal but he couldn’t get the better of Leeds goalkeeper Silvestri. Naismith had another great chance less than five minutes later, he was picked out in the box by Alex Pritchard, but he could only fire over. The Canaries bright start to the match was rewarded in the 14th minute, on the counter attack Robbie Brady whipped in a fine ball and Pritchard scored at the back post with a diving header. Silvestri was twice called into action again, first from Brady whose fine curling effort was tipped over the bar by the Leeds stopper. From the corner Nelson Oliveira had a free volley, but Silvestri kept Norwich’s lead within reach. Six minutes from the break Leeds thought they were level from a corner, however the goal was disallowed and Kyle Bartley was shown a yellow card for handball. Silvestri’s saves were rewarded just before the interval when Leeds equalised. Kemar Roofe beat Ben Godfrey on flank, Souleymane Doukara poked goal-wards and Marcus Antonsson tapped home. Half Time: Leeds United 1-1 Norwich City


United celebrate bein in the last 8 of the LC

Ten minutes into the second half Leeds were almost in front, Alex Mowatt delivered a great corner and Souleymane Doukara was only denied by a brilliant save from John Ruddy. Just after the hour mark Oliveira went close twice, firing over the crossbar from range, before forcing Silvestri into a good save. In the 70th minute Leeds nearly went in front again. Doukara crossed, substitute Chris Wood and Ruddy both missed the ball and Mowatt had the goal gaping, but could only put his effort over the crossbar. Wood then had a low effort saved causing Ruddy to parry, but the Norwich stopper regathered at the second attempt. Silvestri was once more called upon as Canaries substitute Sergi Canos tried his luck from range, but the Leeds goalkeeper would not be beaten. Full Time: Leeds United 1-1 Norwich City Leeds were reduced to ten men in extra time, Lewie Coyle suffered an injury in the last minute of normal time was unable to continue, with Monk having already used all three substitutes. Norwich took full advantage of the extra man, starting the third period brightly. They won a corner in the 99th minute, the ball came back out to Pritchard who delivered a cross and Oliveira headed home. Extra Time Half Time: Leeds United 1-2 Norwich City Leeds continued to rally though and hit back in the 109th minute. Liam Cooper and Kalvin Phillips made superb sliding challenges in the middle of the park to win possession before Matt Grimes sent Hadi Sacko away. He crossed low, Ruddy got a hand to it, but he couldn’t prevent fellow substitute Wood from tapping home to lift the roof off Elland Road. Oliveira and Gaetano Berardi both tried long range efforts to win the game, but neither could find the target, sending the game to penalties. Extra Time Full Time: Leeds United 2-2 Norwich City Graham Dorrans and Chris Wood both scored the first penalties for Norwich and Leeds in front of the Kop. Silvestri saved the next two from Pritchard and Naismith and Kemar Roofe fired Leeds into a 2-1 lead. Phillips had the chance to put Leeds further in front, but saw his penalty saved and Oliveira levelled the scores at 2-2. Matt Grimes then fired over United’s fourth penalty, keeping the scores level, but Silvestri saved Norwich’s fifth effort, his third penalty save in the shootout. Ronaldo Vieira then stepped up to win it for Leeds and superbly converted to spark mass celebrations and put Leeds through. Sat 22nd of Oct Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 Leeds United 1 (Silvio O.G) Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Pereira, Edwards, Batth, Dicko, Costa, Bodvarsson, Teixeira, Saiss, Hause. Subs not used: Lonergan, Stearman, John, Coady, Oniangue, Gladon, Cavaleiro. United: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Taylor, Vieira, O’Kane, Phillips, Sacko, Roofe, Wood. Subs not used: Silvestri, Cooper, Antonsson, Doukara, Grimes, Coyle, Mowatt. eferee: Stuart Attwell Attendance: 23,607 (2,452 Leeds) An own goal from Wolves defender Silvio Manuel Pereira gave Leeds United three points at Molinuex. Leeds United midfielder Pablo Hernandez missed the trip to Molineux with a dead leg, forcing Garry Monk to shuffle the pack, with Ronaldo Vieria taking his place. Roofe won Leeds a free-kick inside ten minutes, Kalvin Phillips whipped in a cross at the set-piece and Kyle Bartley appeared to be pushed to the ground, but the referee waved away the protests. Nouha Dicko went close for Wolves, he pounced on a loose header back to Leeds goalkeeper Rob Green, he was unable to take advantage of the situation though, with his effort going over the crossbar. Joao Teixeira who was a threat for Wolves throughout the first half then picked Dicko out superbly in the penalty area, but Pontus Jansson made a great block to deny the Wanderers striker a shot on goal.


United celebrate an excellent away win

The home side continued to press and Helder Costa’s effort from 25 yards nearly dipped under Green’s crossbar. Seven minutes from the break United had a glorious chance to take the lead, Bartley played through Hadi Sacko on goal, he couldn’t convert the chance though as his effort cannoned off the crossbar and over the bar. At the other end there was a scramble in the Leeds penalty area, Texeira pounced producing the best from Green to deny him. Leeds then had another great opportunity to go in front, Charlie Taylor whipped in a fine cross which found Roofe, but he couldn’t guide his header on target. In first half injury time Texeira picked out Costa with a low cross, but once again Jansson kept the scores level at the break with a tremendous challenge. Half Time: Wolves 0-0 Leeds United Just before the hour mark Leeds were denied another penalty. Eunan O’Kane charged up the field and fed Chris Wood, who went down in the Wolves box, but once more Leeds were denied a penalty. Costa was next to go close for the home side, he was allowed the time to shoot from 25 yards and almost found the top corner. Wood then nearly broke the deadlock, Sacko broke up field before feeding the striker, but he was denied by Carl Ikeme. Leeds took the lead in the 73rd minute, Sacko showed great desire and strength to get the better of Matt Doherty and Wolves defender Silvio got the final touch, to the jubilation of the travelling Leeds support. Wood had a great chance to seal the points for Leeds with three minutes remaining, Roofe teed him up beautifully, but he could only fire over from close range. Costa had a great chance to equalise in first minute of added time. Substitute Ola John found him at the back post unmarked, but the Wolves midfielder was unable to finish, putting the ball over the crossbar. Leeds then held on, surviving four minutes of added time to secure the victory Wolves head coach Walter Zenga: “It is a little frustration with the situation. I think the team created and played well and tried to do the positive things. “The negative point should be if the team doesn’t play and doesn’t create anything. The team played well and created chances. We have to convert these chances into goals. “We have to continue to work hard, don’t think everything is negative because the only negative is the result. “We had an important meeting after the game, only me and the players, and I am sure 100% that things are going to change.” Leeds boss Garry Monk: “We are really competitive now. Overall our character shone through today and we got the deserved three points. “I think we saw it out quite comfortably. Three points and a clean sheet – you have got to be happy. “I think that it was an excellent performance. A really gritty typical Championship game where you have to dig in.”   Sat Oct 18th Leeds United (Wood 29) 1-1 Wigan Athletic. (McDonald 91) Wigan team: Bogdan, Buxton (Gomez 62), Perkins, Power, Grigg, Byrne (Morgan), MacDonald, Jacobs (Wildschut 46), Warnock, Powell, Burn. Subs not used: Le Fondre, Garbutt, Davies, Jaaskelainen. United team: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Roofe, Wood (Antonsson 85), O’Kane, Jansson, Hernandez (Mowatt 74), Taylor, Phillips, Sacko (Grimes 66). Subs not used: Cooper, Silvestri, Viera, Coyle. Att: 19,861 Referee: Peter Bankes. Shaun MacDonald’s stoppage time strike denies Leeds three points. Head coach Garry Monk made one change to the side from Saturday’s defeat at Derby County for the visit of Wigan Athletic, as Kemar Roofe came into the side for Alex Mowatt.


United celebrate what they thought to be a winner at ER

It was a cagey opening period from both sides, Nick Powell tried a long range effort early on, but that was unable to test Leeds stopper Rob Green. United’s first chance came in the 12th minute, Charlie Taylor put in a good cross from the left flank, but Roofe was unable to make the desired contact and his effort went wide. Leeds striker Chris Wood forced Wigan goalkeeper Adam Bogdan into a good save 11 minutes later, with a fine effort from 25 yards. Green was then forced into action by the visitors, Michael Jacobs tried a curling effort from just inside the box, which the Leeds number one dealt with well. Leeds took the lead in the 29th minute, Hadi Sacko made a great run down the right wing, a Jake Buxton challenge couldn’t prevent the Frenchman from getting to the by-line and he picked out Wood at the back post who superbly chested down and fired home. Wigan pressed for an equaliser just before the break, Will Grigg brilliantly cut the ball back for Jacobs to strike from 12 yards and he was only denied by the post. Leeds then had Green to thank for the half time lead, from a Latics corner the Leeds goalkeeper kept out Nick Powell’s header with a stunning save, Buxton couldn’t put in the rebound and Leeds managed to clear. After the break Wigan went close from a free-kick, Nathan Byrne whipped in, but Buxton could only head over the crossbar. Immediately after at the other end Luke Ayling went close, his low strike from the edge of the box forced a good save from Bogdan and won Leeds a corner. Pablo Hernandez whipped in the set piece and Pontus Jansson saw his header cleared off the line by Buxton. Wood almost doubled his tally and United’s lead in the 73rd minute, his looping header almost found the top right corner but for a fantastic save from Bogdan. Nine minutes from time the Latics went close once more, Max Power had an effort from the edge of the box, but he couldn’t find the target with his shot sailing over the crossbar. Wigan continued to press for an equaliser and won a corner in the first minute of added time. The visitors took full advantage of the set piece, the ball found Power at the back post, Leeds failed to clear and MacDonald snatched a point via the crossbar. Leeds United head coach Garry Monk: “We are very disappointed not to get the three points. We paid a very high price at the end. “We need to not rest and try to dominate. We need to go on and get a second and a third goal, that is the next step for the group. “Wigan are a decent enough team but we should have won, we had the best chances.” Wigan Athletic manager Gary Caldwell: “We are happy to get the point and I’m really happy with the performance. “We got what we deserved. Sometimes we just try and walk it in, but we have to be more ruthless in the box. “The players have kept believing and were fantastic. When you are chasing a game it’s never easy. We kept asking questions of Leeds.”   Sat October 15th Derby County 1-0 (Russell 50)Leeds United Derby County: Carson, Christie, Keogh, Anya (Russell 52), Ince, Johnson, Pearce, Butterfield (Bryson 75), Hughes (Baird 84), Vydra, Lowe.Subs not used: Mitchell, Bent, Wilson, Weimann. Leeds Utd: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Wood (Antonsson 82), O’Kane, Jansson, Hernandez, Taylor, Phillips, Sacko (Roofe 59), Mowatt (Grimes 80). Subs not used: Silvestri, Cooper, Vieira, Coyle. Referee: Tony Harrington. Assistant Referees: Daniel Leach & Geoffrey Russell. Fourth Official: Oliver Langford. Attendance: 31, 170 (3,132 Leeds) Leeds had nothing to show for their effort at Derby County’s iPro Stadium in a match that saw them denied twice by the woodwork – at the death of each half – as well as some last-ditch defending from the Rams. The Whites should have been in front at half time but Kyle Bartley’s free header from a wicked Mowatt corner hammered the crossbar and, with the last chance of the game, Marcus Antonsson’s marvellous curling effort thumped Scott Carson’s left-hand post. In a game of few chances, Rob Green had to make just the one save, such was Leeds’ organisation at the back but Johnny Russell’s low effort proved the difference.


Antonsson hits the post in injury time at Derby – Bartley had hit the woodwork before HT (Tough on LUFC)

With just over a minute on the clock, United charged down the right through Sacko’s powerful run, allowing Hernandez to clip in a tasty cross, but the ball just wouldn’t drop for a blue shirt. The best Derby could offer in the opening stages was a wayward attempt from Bradley Johnson that sailed over from 25 yards as both sets of fans gave it their all. The ball was bogged down in midfield with neither side giving much away in the opening quarter and, consequently, chances were at a premium. Again, the hosts’ sniff of goal came from distance after Hughes robbed Phillips before presenting Butterfield with the chance to strike, only to slice harmlessly over the top on 26 minutes. United responded with the best move of the match that started with Hernandez and ended with Wood heading just wide. Ayling picked up possession down the right after some slick, one-touch passing but the big striker just couldn’t direct his powerful effort on target with 28 gone. At the other end, Matej Vydra flashed a shot wide from a relatively tight angle after getting in behind, but the Whites were looking more than comfortable at the back. United finished the half on top with Hernandez and Sacko linking up well but the latter was penalised for a foul on Anya as he looked to latch onto Hernandez’s perfectly-weighted through-ball. Just before half-time whistle came, Kyle Bartley was so unlucky to see a vicious header rattle the crossbar as he met Mowatt’s corner six yards out. Any potential rhythm to the start of the second half was halted by an injury to Derby’s Anya – who limped off to be replaced by Johnny Russell on 52 minutes. Four minutes after his introduction, Russell didn’t need a second invitation to a half-clearance from just inside the box as he smashed through a crowd of bodies and past Green for the opener. The Whites made a change just before the hour mark as Kemar Roofe replaced Hadi Sacko out wide. Rob Green was forced into a fine save to deny Will Hughes’ rising drive on 64 minutes for what was his first save of the match, such was Derby’s shot-shy nature. United were well up for the scrap and didn’t let any pass die, as they chased and hurried the hosts. Their persistence almost paid off on 66 minutes as Luke Ayling snatched at a loose ball following a deep cross but too many white shirts were in the way. The home side thought they had doubled their advantage as Vydra turned home Ince’s cross following a lightning break but the striker was offside when the ball was played. Kalvin Phillips lined up a 25-yard free-kick on 72 minutes and brought a good save from Carson low to his left. From the follow-up, Roofe was thwarted by a brilliant tackle that denied a certain leveller. Derby were happy to let Leeds control the play and they almost punished them through Roofe on 82 minutes. Charlie Taylor whipped in a delicious cross that just couldn’t get over and direct on target. United were turning the screw as they searched for the equaliser – Hernandez bending just wide via a deflection from the left-hand side of the area after some great build-up play from O’Kane and Taylor. As Garry Monk’s side kept pressing in the closing stages, a counter-attack from the hosts was inevitable but O’Kane ended hopes of a Derby second with a fine interception to prevent Ince’s pass from finding Vydra. Six minutes were added for United to find a goal and it almost came straight away. Bartley found time to chest down a clearance eight yards from goal but his effort bounced into the grateful arms of Carson as the defender didn’t get a clean connection. The Rams were panicking in the dying embers of the game as substitute Marcus Antonsson bent a delightful effort towards goal only for it to rattle the outside of the post. His strike was to be the last real action of a tight and tense affair and there would have been no complaints from the Derby contingent should the Swede’s shot have sailed home to give United – and their fantastic following of over 3,000 – a deserved share of the spoils. Derby manager Steve McClaren: I think you could see the nervousness of the players but amongst that nervousness the players showed fight; the attitude was great and we got some great blocks in at the end. “We worked our socks off and we needed that second goal. The last 10 minutes was always going to be nervous, but we rode our luck and got through it and it was a big three points. “We said we need to put a marker down at five o’clock and we have done. I saw certain aspects I like and potential in the team but there is a lot of work, and a long way to go but if the players have that attitude and fight, I have no complaints. “That’s what we said at the beginning not just at half-time, what do the supporters want to see, they want to see your fight, attitude, tackles and I think the players did that.” Leeds head coach Garry Monk: “I said to the players at half-time that we need to put our game on the pitch a little bit better and we came out and we started to do that and then we conceded a poor goal from our point of view which put us on the back foot. “We had a go in the last 25 minutes and had a couple of chances, but overall I think we didn’t do enough of the things we have done really well in recent games with the ball to give ourselves the best chance of getting something. “We probably deserved something from the game but it’s one of those where you probably can’t complain that you didn’t. “We hit the woodwork a couple of times and were probably the wrong side of those margins, but the pleasing thing for me is we are still very competitive in games and were fighting for the result right up to the very end.”


Poor Terry McQuaid ambushed by the Cooley ‘Watters’ whites at the Ipswich game

Sat Oct 1st ‘Crowd got us home’ – Monk Garry Monk said his Leeds United squad were rapidly overcoming any fear of playing at Elland Road after a battling performance brought up a fourth successive home win. Leeds fought through a tense finish on Saturday to seal a 2-1 victory over Barnsley and further enhance a home record which was causing Monk concern in the early weeks of the season.The club’s head coach believed his players were constrained by “apprehension” initially, an observation backed up by Leeds taking one point from their first three league games at Elland Road. One of those fixtures, a 2-1 defeat to Birmingham City, led an angry Monk to demand that his side show more “mental toughness” in front of their own crowd. window._Leeds’ form has improved since then, resulting in four back-to-back wins at Elland Road, and Monk credited a crowd of 27,000 with helping United see out Saturday’s victory as Barnsley pressed for a point in the closing stages.”You’re seeing that relationship really growing now,” Monk said. “I talked after the Birmingham game about seeing apprehension in the players and apprehension in the crowd. That was no fault of anyone’s. It was just the way it was.”Of course performances help with that but in that last 10 minutes, when we had to defend, there was nothing negative from the crowd. Extra energy comes out of you when you feel the backing of almost 30,000 people.”We work a lot on attitude because this is a tough league. Mentally you have to be strong but you saw the character and fight in us. It all counts but on top of that there’s quality too.” A strong run during the past four weeks and a tally of five wins from seven games was helped by a sizeable improvement in United’s defensive organisation. Their progress in August was badly hindered by five goals conceded from corners. Leeds’ opener on Saturday was scored from a corner of their own, with Kyle Bartley arriving to side-foot home Pablo Hernandez’s cross.”It was nice to see us score from a set-piece offensively,” Monk said. “We’ve corrected a lot of things defensively at set-pieces but I felt we had the players to be effective offensively as well. To score in that situation is pleasing.”Monk plans to give his players a short period of time off after a busy spell of seven fixtures in 21 days. Pontus Jansson, Stuart Dallas and Chris Wood are among those who are departing for international duty.Monk said: We’ve had a really busy period physically so there will be rest but we’ll do exactly what we did in the last one – we’ll work as well. “We saw in the last seven games the benefit of having that time with them (at the end of August) and as I said then, the more time I get on the training field the more benefit there is for the team. If we can do the same sort of work, maybe in different areas, we’ll hopefully see the same sort of reaction coming out of the break.”Monk, meanwhile, revealed that the Football Association has written to him over his dismissal in last week’s 1-0 defeat at Bristol City. The United boss was sent to the stands by referee Keith Stroud shortly before full-time at Ashton Gate but is yet to face any formal disciplinary charges from the FA.”There’s a letter come through,” Monk said. “I’ll read it and see what the situation is.” Sat Oct 1st Leeds 2 (Bartley 36, Hernandez 54), Barnsley 1 (Winnall 70) United team: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Taylor, Phillips, O’Kane, Hernandez (Roofe 84), Dallas (Vieira 89), Sacko (Antonsson 75), Wood. Subs not used: Silvestri, Coyle, Cooper, Mowatt. Barnsley team: Davies, Roberts, MacDonald, Scowen, Kpekawa, Kent (Bradshaw 82), Hourihane, Yiadom, Hammill, Armstrong (Watkins 65). Subs not used: Townsend, White, Jackson, Morsy, Lee. Referee: Simon Hooper Booked: Taylor (United) Att: 27,350 (2,413 Barnsley)


Kyle Bartley scores first v Barnsley

Goals either side of half-time from Kyle Bartley and Pablo Hernandez were enough for United to claim a 2-1 Yorkshire derby victory at home to Barnsley on Saturday afternoon. Bartley turned home a near-post corner from Hernandez to open the scoring after 36 minutes, before United’s on-loan Spaniard got in on the act to double the advantage with a cool finish shortly after the restart. Sam Winnall pulled one back from close-range for the visitors to set up a somewhat nervy finale, but United were good value for the three points and entered the second international break of the season sitting 11th in the Sky Bet Championship table. Garry Monk’s side looked to start on the front foot and take the game to Barnsley during the opening exchanges but were unable to carve an early sight of goal, with the visitors first to call either goalkeeper into action as Rob Green held Adam Hammill’s low effort from the edge of the area. Josh Scowen and Andy Yiadom both tried their luck from distance for Barnsley but to no avail, while Conor Hourihane and Cole Kpekawa also threatened before Bartley broke the deadlock with his second of the season, getting the decisive touch on Hernandez’s delivery to guide the ball beyond Adam Davies. United were buoyed and Hernandez saw his well-struck effort held by Davies on the stroke of half-time, before the midfielder was the first to threaten during the early stages of the second period, firing wide from the edge of the area after side-stepping his way into space. Hernandez duly got the goal he deserved on 54 minutes, though, composedly slotting beyond Davies from inside the area after racing through on goal to put United in the driving seat. The home fans among the 27,350 inside Elland Road were enjoying what they were seeing and continued to urge their side forward in search of more, with Chris Wood twice firing over after working himself into dangerous positions. But Winnall was next to find the net with 20 minutes remaining, turning home Kpekawa’s low cross from less than six yards out to suddenly make it a contest again. Barnsley began to throw men forward but it opened things up for United at the opposite end, with substitute Marcus Antonsson denied by a fine Davies save after being slotted into the area one-on-one. Rob Green then made a crucial late save with his legs to keep out Hourihane’s volley and Man of the Match Pontus Jansson kept one off the line in the closing stages to ensure United returning to winning ways with a fourth consecutive victory at Elland Road. BRISTOL CITY 1 (Pack 59), Leeds 0 Tues Sept 27th Bristol City team: Fielding, Little (Moore 52), Flint, Magnusson, Bryan, Freeman, Reid, Pack, Paterson, Tomlin (O’Neil 69), Abraham (Wilbraham 78). Subs: O’Donnell, Golbourne, Brownhill, O’Dowda. United team: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson (Cooper 45), Taylor, Phillips, O’Kane, Hernandez, Dallas (Roofe 68), Sacko, Wood. Subs: Silvestri, Coyle, Grimes, Mowatt, Antonsson. Referee: Keith Stroud.  Booked: Pack, Tomlin (Bristol City), Jansson, Dallas, Taylor (United) Att: 19,699 (2,065 United) United’s four-game winning streak was brought to a halt as Marlon Pack’s second-half strike was enough for Bristol City to claim a 1-0 victory at Ashton Gate on Tuesday night. Pack tucked away the only goal of the game just before the hour mark, calming finishing beyond Rob Green after being slotted into the area by Lee Tomlin, on a night where United had numerous opportunities to take something from the game. It took Garry Monk’s 12 minutes to carve out their first opening, Stuart Dallas lashing across the face of goal after exchanging passes with Pablo Hernandez on the edge of the area, but the visitors soon started to look like a side chasing a fifth straight victory as Hernandez saw his long-range effort blocked by Hordur Magnusson. At the opposite end, the home supporters briefly thought their side had opened the scoring, only to see Lee Tomlin’s effort on the turn brush the side-netting from the edge of the area. Hadi Sacko then carved a glorious opening, cutting the ball back for the arriving Hernandez to drag a low, first-time wide of the far post, before Sacko himself was denied an opener, forcing City ‘keeper Frank Fielding into a sharp save to beat away his strike after skipping away from his marker inside the hosts’ box.


Sakho terrorized Bristol City’s defence but his final ball was terrible all night

Hernandez had an effort blocked after escaping a series of challenges, before City passed up two good chances on the stroke of half-time. First, in-form striker Tammy Abraham skied an effort from close-range after being threaded in by Bobby Reid, before Jamie Paterson forced a stunning reflex save from Rob Green after flicking a cross goalwards from close-range. United defender Pontus Jansson was forced off with a hamstring problem at the break, replaced by Liam Cooper at the heart of defence, before the teams contested a relatively uneventful start to the second period. That was until the 59th minute when Hernandez was bundled off the ball in midfield, opening things up for the hosts and allowing Tomlin to thread Pack into the area to sweep a composed finish into the United net to break the deadlock. United looked to mount a quick response and Sacko was again denied by Fielding after being found by Hernandez; this time the City stopper turning his strike behind with the slightest of finger-tip saves. Sacko raced through again moments later, only to be denied by a superb, last-ditch block from Joe Bryan, before Fielding thwarted Wood from inside the area with another fine save down to his left as United chased an equaliser. Kyle Bartley headed a corner wide in stoppage time, while Reid came close to adding a second for the hosts, but there proved to be no late drama at either end as City clinched the three points. Garry Monk : “Our performance deserved more than what we got tonight – we had the better of the chances by far,” said Monk. “I thought our performance warranted at least a point. “We had the best clear-cut chances but we didn’t always make the right decisions in the final third and that’s where we need to be more clinical. “But we can’t be too disheartened – we have to learn our lessons from this and bounce back quickly. “We’re disappointed with the result but we’re not going to get too down about the performance. “We’re growing all the time – the players are still going and picking up new ideas – and we win and lose together.”